INTRODUCING YOUR EXPERT TOUR GUIDE IN HORTA
Lisa Steiner – renowned naturalist and sperm whale researcher
Introducing Lisa Steiner – renowned naturalist and sperm whale researcher in Horta
This exclusive small group is led by expert guide Lisa Steiner. Lisa guides the tours on the remote islands which offer a unique opportunity for you to see these ocean giants in their mid-Atlantic feeding grounds where the sightings have been exceptional over the last few years. She is also able to arrange various island tours for you.
After graduating from the University of Miami, Lisa first came to the Azores in 1988 as part of the IFAW research team on “Song of the Whale”. She was responsible for the cataloguing and matching of sperm whale fluke identification photographs and for analysing all other sightings. Since then, she has been a naturalist on board whale-watching vessels in the Azores, passing on her knowledge to guests. Lisa has published several scientific papers on Azorean cetaceans and presented her work to the Marine Mammal and European Cetacean Societies. She has worked on other research projects involving bottlenose dolphin in Alabama and Miami, humpback whales in Hawaii, minke whales in Scotland, fin whales in the Cape Verde islands and Northern Right whale search in Bermuda. Lisa is the on-board naturalist during your tour and with 25 years of experience will be able to answer your questions.
Your participation in this tour helps fund local research by Lisa and her team’s research in the Azores. For example, to date they have:
- Doubled the Azores sperm whale photo-ID catalogue to over 3000 individual animals
- Identified the first-ever matches of individual whales seen between the Azores, Canaries and Madeira
- Discovered the first matches of male sperm whales between the Azores and Norway
- Discovered 13 females that have made return trips between the Azores and the Canary Islands
- Collected skin samples and photographic data on Azorean sperm whales and 19 other species